While federal officials are clashing with New York over congestion pricingamabet, the tolling program that President Trump has vowed to kill, there is another transit fight underway between Albany and Washington.

The $68 billion capital plan, a five-year budget proposal that includes a slew of critical upgrades for the subway, buses and commuter railroads, is the biggest such request the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has ever made. The plan, which would run from 2025 to 2029, comes as the Trump administration is not only trying to kill the toll but is also threatening to defund an untold number of other transit priorities.

So far, the M.T.A. has identified funding for only about half of the plan and is expecting the federal government to contribute $14 billion, a sum that was optimistic even before its tolling dispute with Washington, budget analysts said.

The state is relying on congestion pricing to fund transit upgrades that were part of the last five-year capital plan, and its termination could throw the new budget into disarray, as overdue projects pile up. The capital plan is separate from the M.T.A.’s annual operating budget, which largely pays for expenses like worker salaries, energy expenses and some financing costs and is partly funded by fare revenue.

At stake is a long list of repairs and improvements to New York City’s aging transit system that,fef777.com if put off any longer, could plunge New York into another “Summer of Hell” — the notorious series of power outages, track fires and delays in 2017 that infuriated riders — Janno Lieber, the head of the transit authority, said.

“We have to invest in the system to protect the riders,” Mr. Lieber said in an interview Tuesday in Albany.

We are having trouble retrieving the article content.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser settings.

Thank you for your patience while we verify access. If you are in Reader mode please exit and log into your Times account, or subscribe for all of The Times.

But the move backfired in a way that few supporters expected. Californians in 2021 actually tossed nearly 50 percent more plastic bags, by weight, than when the law first passed in 2014, according to data from CalRecycle, California’s recycling agency.

His debunked claims about Haitian migrants stealing and eating their neighbors’ pets in Springfield, Ohio, helped stir a firestorm over immigration in that community, which has dealt with bomb threats and evacuations after Mr. Trump made his comments.

Thank you for your patience while we verify access.

Already a subscriber? Log in.

Want all of The Times? Subscribe.amabet